I am all about making things as easy as possible, these days.
My mom used to meticulously arrange each pecan on the tray with a dollop of caramel, perfectly centered in the middle of them, which made the pecans look like the legs of turtles. Adorable.
BUT it's day 28 of quarantine and most of my food choices are negotiations between my desire to eat something, weighed against how many dishes I'll have to dirty/clean to fulfill that desire. Here's the laziest way I could figure to make these (I dirtied ONE bowl and TWO spoons - FTW 🙌).
Yield: 24 Paleo Caramel Turtles
1 8oz bag (1/2 half pound) Sweet Apricity Sea Salted Caramels. Freeze for 30 minutes for easier handling
2 cups toasted pecans
1 cup Hu Kitchen Gems or Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
1 tsp coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 200°F
2. Line 9x13 inch pan with parchment
3. Spread pecans out into single layer in pan
4. Unwrap caramels and place in 6 rows of 4 on top of pecans
5. Place in the oven for 6-7 minutes
6. Cool pecans and caramel in the fridge until cool to the touch (approx 15 minutes)
7. Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler.
8. Add coconut oil to melted chocolate and combine
9. After pecans and caramel are cool, spoon chocolate on top of caramel (approx 1 tsp each)
10. Place into the freezer for approx 15 minutes until chocolate is set
11. Store in an airtight container between layers of waxed paper in the fridge or at room temperature